Brighouse Town 2-4 Clitheroe


Despite a spirited attempt at a comeback after falling three goals behind, Brighouse Town slipped to a defeat which now leaves them below Clitheroe in the Division One North standings.

The visitors took the lead after just seven minutes when Captain David Lynch’s cross found its way inside the far post after taking a deflection of Town keeper Jacob Giles.

With very little action following the opener, the side from Lancashire would fire two goals in three minutes to all but secure a victory on the road.

After a corner, Giles pulled back the shirt of Sefton Gonzales denying the striker a goal scoring opportunity but a clever pass to Sam Dickenson saw his strike partner fire home after the referee allowed the advantage.

Gonzales would get his goal two minutes later when after a weak punched clearance by Giles, he took the ball and fired home in the top corner to all but secure three points in this mid table clash.

Brighouse did get on the score sheet in first half injury time when Ernest Boafo, who the club raised vital funds to pay for his mother’s treatment in Ghana this week, saw his effort deflect of a last ditch tackle to wrong foot Andrew Dawber.

The second half was more an entertaining affair which was dominated by the home side as they looked to get back in the game for a point.

Boafo and Captain Leon Henry both had efforts but the Ghanaian striker dragged his effort wide with Henry hitting the side netting.

Boafo’s second of the afternoon and fifth league goal of the season came when after Richard Burns was dispossessed with ease by Shaquille Clarke-Adams, he got the ball and turned Daniel Brady before slotting cooly into the bottom corner.

Clarke-Adams himself put a half chance wide of Dawber’s near post before things got a bit tasty in the midst of the Town’s attempted spirited comeback.

With Clitheroe breaking down the left hand side, Danny Wilkins was the victim of a dangerous effort by Ben Thornton which left the right back lucky not to see red and Lynch furious as he went to the defence of his teammates and began to pick fights with many a man in orange.

Brighouse manager Paul Quinn was also lucky not to see red after a tirade against the linesman after flagging marauding centre back Tyrone Gay offside in the hunt for the equalising goal.

Despite all the Town pressure in the second forty five, they succumbed to defeat when with seven minutes left, right back Danny Morton well placed his shot when left unmarked in the area after a fantastic save to deny substitute Ryan Charnley.

BRIGHOUSE TOWN: Giles, Thornton, Scott, Wilson (Clarke-Adams 58), Gay, Burke, Baldwin, Hall (Hurtley 63), Boafo, Matthews (Kebbie 46), Henry. Substitutes (Not Used): Field, Thewlis.

CLITHEROE: Dawber, Morton, Bamba, Bonaminio, Brady, Garner, Burns (Ralph 86), Lynch, Gonzales, Dickenson (Charnley 66), Bent (Wilkins 77). Substitutes (Not Used): Walker, Freeland.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s