Grimsby Town 1-0 FC Halifax Town


Halifax succumbed to a narrow defeat at Blundell Park in this clash between two of the large chasing back behind current leaders Barnet.

Yet just forty eight hours removed from the FA Cup defeat to West Yorkshire rivals Bradford, a Shaun Pearson goal four minutes before the interval proved to be the winner for the Mariners.

The Grimsby centre back powered home a header from a Nathan Arnold corner for his third goal of the season to secure the home side’s fifth consecutive league victory and strengthen their grip on second position.

Speaking following the game, Shaymen defender Scott McManus told the club website: “We set up as a strong physical unit and really, we shouldn’t be conceding from corners. It was just a good leap and a good goal.”

Paul Hurst’s side had the better of the first half and would have opened the scoring if not for the brilliance of Matt Glennon in the Town goal.

Fifteen minutes in to the first half, Glennon tipped a curling Harry Pell effort from the edge of the area over the crossbar when it looked certain for the top corner.

The former Huddersfield and Bradford shot stopper found it much easier minutes later when Lenell John-Lewis’s acrobatic effort went directly into his gloves.

Post-match, Hurst told BBC Radio Humberside: “It was going to be a tough game and it proved that way. I thought it was a good game really, with two good teams. I thought at times, particularly first-half, it ebbed and flowed, although I thought we were on top in the main.”

Following the restart, the Yorkshire outfit won two free-kicks just outside the area but unfortunately for Neil Aspin both Richard Peniket and Scott McManus dragged the set pieces narrowly wide of McKewon’s near post.

Matty Pearson also had an effort to level the game back up but his header from a Paul Marshall corner flew over the crossbar just moments before his long rate effort rattled the woodwork.

With the pressure on for an equaliser, Grimsby spent most of the half on the back foot but did have a chance to seal the three points half way through the half but a Scott Neilson cross-cum-shot rattled the crossbar after beating Glennon.

Up next for FC Halifax Town is another top of the table clash this Sunday (16th November) when fellow play off hopefuls Woking are the visitors to The Shay.

GRIMSBY: McKeown, Parslow, Nsiala, Pearson, Thomas, Pell, Disley, Magnay (Clay 55), Arnold, Neilson (Mackreth 85), John-Lewis. Subs (Not Used): Brown, Hannah, Pittman.

HALIFAX: Glennon, McGinty (Smith 71), M Roberts, Ainge, K Roberts, Dyer (Pearson 46), Marshall, Maynard, McManus, Peniket, Boden (Schofield 77). Subs (Not Used): Senior, Bolton.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s